The Authentic Karkitaka Chikitsa package (Monsoon Treatments): Everything you need to know about it!
Ayurveda Treatments in Kerala
What is Karkataka Chikitsa?
The two monsoons received by Kerala are the southwest monsoon, which arrives in June and lasts until August, and the northeast monsoon, which brings rain from October till November. karkidaka Chikitsa originated from the Malayalam month ‘Karkidakam’, which is from July-August according to the Malayalam calendar. The term ‘Chikitsa’ refers to treatment.
Why is monsoon season-best for Karkitaka Chikitsa?
According to Ayurveda, the monsoon season is the best season to rejuvenate and detoxify the human body. Monsoon season is traditionally known as Karkitaka masa in Kerala. Karkidaka Chikitsa is a therapy that helps in strengthening the body, mind & prana of a person. It is during the monsoon that our body gets more responsive to these therapies. The opening up of skin pores occurs at this time. So, taking a Karkataka Chikitsa is eternal for any person.
“Rogastu dosha vaishamyam Dosha Samyam arogatham”
The Karkitaka masa falls from mid-July to mid-August and witnesses heavy monsoon rains. This period helps the body to imbibe the goodness of ayurvedic treatments. Ayurveda has identified the benefits of Karkidaka Chikitsa. The same is mentioned in many Ayurvedic scriptures that date back to thousand years.
It is a common belief that an individual becomes weak during the monsoon compared to other seasons. This may consequently lead to various health issues, illnesses and diseases. To overcome these issues, people in Kerala undergo this Ayurveda Karkataka Chikitsa that aids in enhancing the overall immune power of an individual.
What are the goals of Karkitaka Chikitsa or monsoon treatment?
According to Ayurveda Shastra Agni, the body fire gets weakened during the monsoon season due to climatic exposures. This increases the Vata, Pitta & Kapha Dosha in people during that time. The imbalance ratio of these Doshas leads to various diseases in the body. The spread of acidity into food particles like water, vegetables and fruits leads to digestive problems like cold, cough, allergies and skin infections. To prevent our human body from these issues, Ayurveda prescribes the Karkataka Chikitsa therapy.
Karkidaka kanji: The Special Diet
Specialists and experts recommend a special diet During Karkitaka Chikitsa treatment. The diet must be strictly followed for the effectiveness of the Chikitsa. Take care of these things while following the diet.
- Drink boiled and cooled water
- Have Goat meat soup
- Say no to cold foods and drinks
- Increase fluid intake and decrease food intake
- Combine vegetable soup
- Foods made from old grains
- Wine consumption in moderation
- Sour, salty and ghee rich items to be included in the diet on very cloudy days
- Do not add potatoes, pulses, especially gram, curd and garlic to your diet
- Supplement ginger to your diet
- Refrain from spicy, oily and very salty foods
- Stay away from deep-fried and junk foods
- Include easy to digest vegetables in limited quantities
- Avoid eating fish
- Do regular herbal oil massages to improve the effectiveness of the medication
Authentic Ayurvedic Karkitaka or Monsoon Chikitsa of Kerala is world-famous. Many celebrities come over to experience this Ayurvedic magic during the karkitaka month. Ayurvedic institutions/hospitals in Kerala provide different types of Karkitaka Chikitsa packages or monsoon treatment packages. Usually, the Karkitaka Chikitsa package’s duration is 50-60 minutes for 14 days. But it may vary across the hospitals.
Here are some of the treatments included in Karkitaka Chikitsaa packages or Monsoon treatment packages.
- Udwarthanam: Herbal powders are rubbed against the body for a specific time. This process would help to cleanse the channels of the body. The Udwarthanam process helps to reduce excess fat from the body by reducing Kapha dosha. It gives shape to the body and tones muscles.
- Dhanyamla Dhara: Medicated vinegar made from the water from pulses & cereals known as dhanyas is sprayed all over the body for a specific time. The process helps in pacifying the Vata dosha and improves metabolism.
- Patra Pinda Sweda: This is a technique where a warm cloth bag mixed with herbal leaves inside is gently punched all over the body. The body would get lubricated simultaneously and release sweat by clearing the channels. It also expels toxins and pacifies both Vata and Kapha doshas. Patra Pinda Sweda is effective for various ailments like arthritis, spondylitis, back pain, sports injuries, etc.
- Shirodhara: In this process, the forehead is poured with a stream of warm medicated oils, decoction and milk. The mind gets balanced and relaxed from the process. The quality of sleep has also improved.
- Sarvanga sheera Dhara: The medicated milk is poured all over the body in this process. It helps to nourish the tissues in the body, improves skin complexion, revitalizes and energizes the body.
The other types of treatments included in Karkitaka Chikitsa packages are Pichizchil, Abhyanga Sweda, Vasti, Njavara Kizhi, Takradhara.
What are the practices we need to follow during Karkitaka Chikitsa?
- Drink Lukewarm water daily at least 2 litres
- Avoid non-veg foods, alcohol, smoking & fried foods
- Adequate sleep is a must
- Doing breathing exercises are necessary
The best place to go for Karkitaka Chikitsa or Monsoon treatment packages in Kerala
There are various and different types of Karkitaka Chikitsa packages provided by specialized Ayurvedic hospitals in Kerala. Here are some of the famous hospitals that provide Karkidaka Chikitsa packages in Kerala.
- Suvaidya Ayurveda: Suvaidya, a brand of PKMM HEALTH CARE. PKMM Ayurvedic hospital in Malappuram is a leading Ayurveda hospital that provides Karkidaka Chikitsa treatment. Suvaidya, Kottakal Ayurveda takes a holistic approach to restoration, healing, and detoxification. Make an appointment today to know further about the Karkidaka Chikitsa at Suvaidya Ayurveda to enjoy the holistic approach.
- Madukkakuzhy Ayurveda: Madukkakuzhy Ayurveda offers a unique approach to stay healthy with the ancient science of Ayurveda. Make an appointment today to know further about the Karkidaka Chikitsa at Madukkakuzhy Ayurveda and gift yourself a much-deserved wellness holiday.
- Ishani Ayurveda Yoga Heritage: Ishani Ayurveda Yoga Heritage, Ayurveda Treatment Centre, located in Kunjithanny, Munnar helps patients rejuvenate their minds and bodies towards faster and effective results. Make an appointment today for a cool and calm experience at an affordable rate.
- Ayurveda-Deutschland: Ayurveda-Deutschland offers authentic traditional Ayurveda with leading Indian Ayurveda specialists and gracious, qualified specialist therapists from the country of origin.
- Sreerudra Ayurveda Hospital and Research Centre; The hospital owns an art facility with a blend of modern and traditional treatment facilities available to make the treatments effective. Make an appointment for today’s unique system of healing.